Sunday, January 11, 2015

The First 48

As promised, I will fill you in on what happened in the 48 hours following baby Ana's birth. Everyone knows that those first few days after a baby's birth are the most chaotic and exciting time. Since Ben was not here yet, Timothy and I wanted to make sure that Sam had support. I could not image being in a country where I don't speak the language, without my husband, and being handed a brand new baby. Can you? It gives me anxiety just thinking about it.
Sleeping angel, Ana

The day before I gave birth there was a full moon, so of course the recovery wing of the hospital was
packed with moms and their full moon babies. Normally you are moved into the recovery wing 1-2 hours post delivery, but we were not placed into recovery until almost 10:30pm! But luckily we had a few visitors to help the time pass. Sam informed me that in France a nurse would stay with the parents to help show them how to care for the baby and just provide another set of helping hands. She learned quickly that here in America it is quite different. As soon as the baby is born and vitals are checked, they leave you alone. Sam and I were now co-parenting for the night :) I remember dosing in and out of sleep because Ana had been asleep since birth. Finally around midnight I woke up to find Sam in a haze and looking like she needed some much needed sleep. I offered to take Ana for her so she could take a nap. That first night trying to find a routine of feedings, changing, and swaddling was a challenge, but because I have done this twice before, I feel like I was able to provide Sam with some helpful tips and support.
My husband Timothy and baby Ana

The day following her birth seemed like it lasted forever! My doctor came bright and early to tell me that I was able to go home as soon as I wanted to! This was exciting because I wanted to get home to my kiddos. I missed them terribly. I just had to wait for Ana to be released as well. The ladies from my surrogacy agency came to visit while Sam filled out the Birth Certificate paperwork. I was relieved because I didn't want to make any mistakes. They were so sweet and brought me a green smoothie and Origami Owl necklace that says "Surro Mom." The whole day we were waiting Ana's discharge. Around noon the doctor gave her clearance to go, yet the nurses took until 8:45pm to release us! You can imagine our impatience to get out. To pass the time we snuggled Ana and mumbled curse words under our breath ;)

When we got home we sent Sam to shower since she was still in the same clothes she had on for the last 36 hours. Every new mom deserves a nice long postpartum shower, and I had already gotten one at the hospital earlier that day. It was now her turn. Me, Ana, and my children (Paisleigh and Ezra) snuggled up in my bed in the meantime. It was really special for my kids to spend this time with Ana since they had been hearing about her for the past year and seeing my belly grow. My daughter was so sweet and actually said to me "Mom, I love Ana so much. I'm happy she is Sam's baby now." Months of prepping her to give Ana back to Sam had paid off :)

My daughter, Paisleigh, and baby Ana
That night, I finally got to sleep in m own bed, on my belly! I am a stomach sleeper so I had not slept on my stomach for the past 6+ months. It was heavenly. I woke up around midnight to the whispering sound of "Kailey, Kailey, help." Poor Sam. She looked frazzled, exhausted, and in need of my help. Ana was hungry and tired, but she wasn't sure how to put it all together. I showed Sam that if she put music on her iPad, changed Ana's diaper, fed her, and then swaddled her before rocking her to sleep, that everything would go smoothly. I did this round for her so she could get some sleep. After Ana fell asleep I laid her down. I woke up to her crying one more time that night, but that was it. Sam said she followed that routine and Ana slept soundly after! So happy she finally starting finding her groove.

Stay tuned for Ana's first appointment and Ben's arrival on my next post!...

No comments:

Post a Comment